HTSupportGroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Stillsmiling
Star
Star

Small schools Empty Small schools

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:39 am
Hi all,
Having read a few introductions, it seems as if quite a few of us are becoming Heads of small schools. There can be a feeling of British humbleness that this is not quite as important as being head of a larger school.
This worries me! I have been there and have some great collegues that are also Heads of “small schools”.
Believe me, it is intense and lonely at times. You have to be all things to all people, be an expert in everything- never thought I would know so much about Drains for example, write the same amount of policies as larger schools, spend more of your time with needy parents (as no one else has the time) and attend as many meetings as the rest of us! And I could go on....
It is an amazing type of Headship and you will learn quicker about all areas than Heads of larger schools - you will have to - there is on one else!
Not meaning to sound gloomy - there are so many great things and my biggest was knowing each and every child pretty well. This is something that I may lose in my next post and this makes me a little sad tbh.
Don’t ever think it “is just a small school” - it’s an amazing privilege to be a HT , whatever size school - just different challenges I guess! Will let you know after September!
Best of luck to you all - you’ll love it (most of the time!)
Nickie
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum